Click to learn more about classes, pricing and directions to our locations in Bend

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Stroller Strides - It's better than a bag of rice

I came across a blog the other day for a guy whose wife recently had a baby. He is also a personal trainer. In it he lamented at the "massive deficit in the fitness programs being given to post-partum and pregnant mothers right now."

HEL-LO? I'm not even going to go there. Anyway, he had a video on his blog showing what he calls "5 truly functional movements a mother must have in order to take care of her kids."

So I decided to take a look at his "functional movements." To be honest I couldn't finish watching it I was laughing so hard. In it he tells women to get a bag of rice - to represent the baby - and use it in all their movements.

Now I'm sure these are great exercises and to be honest the ones I saw are very familiar to me as a Stroller Strides instructor. But seriously! I'd much rather work out with the moms in my class and my kids than hang out alone in my living room with a bag of rice. So, for my money I'd say Stroller Strides is a much better deal than a 10 pound bag of rice from Costco (do they even sell a bag that small at Costco?)

Then it got even funnier. As I went to write this blog I was searching for pictures of bags of rice on google and came across this gem:

This picture was on a blog called Daddytypes.com. Here is the accompanying story:

To celebrate the birth of a baby in a way that makes it feel like the kid's right there in your arms, a rice shop in the southwestern Japanese city of Kita-Kyushu will send out a customized dakigokochi, a roughly baby-shaped bag of high-grade rice to everyone on your birth announcement list. The bag will be printed with the kid's picture, stats, and a greeting--and it will weigh the same as the kid did at birth.

A few final thoughts here:

1. Should I forward this information to Mr. Personal "Rice Bag" Trainer?

2. Beware Denver of Mr. Personal "Rice Bag" Trainer. He may try to lure your moms away with promises of "functional movements."

3. Do you think I can order a bag the size of a man with a picture of Brad Pitt on it?

Just wondering.


Stride On!




No comments: