Click to learn more about classes, pricing and directions to our locations in Bend

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Just like mommy!

As a kid I remember my mom going to the gym. It had these huge machines with pulleys and straps and wheels. They even had the machine with the big strap that she would put around her leg or bum and it would jiggle. I remember they were all pink. That was about the extent of my fitness role modeling from my mom. She was 6'2" but never played basketball or volleyball - girls just didn't do that in Texas in the 50s - even the tall ones. Instead they took homemaking classes and played the piano.

Well times have changed as you well know. I was in middle school when Jane Fonda revolutionized fitness in America. In college I had a Cher step video that I loved! Fitness has definitely evolved.

So today when I was doing my personal workout (my non-Stroller Strides workout) it was so cool to see my kids who are only 1 and 2 stand in the living room next to me raising their hands, doing their squats and tapping it out. They come to class with me every day and they already know how to count it down, do baby pulses and "take a walk." They see me and the other moms in our class really working out, not just socializing. They see us sweat and they already understand the idea of good health and fitness.

This is one of the most positive things about what I do and why I'm so grateful that I found Stroller Strides. I'm also grateful for the other moms who join me each week to not only get into shape, but to model a healthy lifestyle to our children. Healthy habits started now will last a lifetime. So cool!

I must say that my mom is now quite the walker and an accomplished swimmer. I'm looking forward to the day when my kids take off on their own in sports and other athletic pleasures and will be able to say that they've been working out since they were born - because it will be the truth!

No comments: